Wednesday, April 11, 2012

45th Reunion

Oh God. The 45th reunion committee has decided to have a luncheon in June so we can all return to our high school roots- what's left of them since they are closing our high school anyway. I guess we are lucky because Katrina did not wash away our high school. And our high school looks the same- very mid-century modern as they say. But sweet jeezus- thanks to Facebook most of us are in touch with whomever we deem memorable. But others are lurking. In a wonderful twist, the woman organizing it is a mystery to everyone- there exists not one picture of her in the yearbook. How can that be? I'm sure it's not a con- but wouldn't it be perfect if some stranger went about taking $35 checks from us and scammed us totally! 
One thing that made our high school memorable was that there were sororities! I kid you not. Yes, I went through rush. As a sophomore- and I set my heart on one group and cut the others. I just didn't know- I wanted to pledge what my best friend did. That was a mistake.  Junior year I went through rush with a bunch of friends- and one of them put in a black ball. I didn't know for years who it was. But one day, a friend, who really decided enough was enough, told me. And it was shocking. It was a girl who had pretended to be my friend for 5 years. Called me on the phone, asked me about homework and my boyfriend. And to this day, I am still shocked. She encouraged me to go through rush just so she could do that to me!  I guess I must bring that out in people. But, this brings us back to the 45th reunion. 
She was at the 30th, and I stared a sweet hole through her when she smiled at me.  Since she is now a lawyer, I guess she can figure out body language. 
I am going to skip the 45th. The "girls" will still sit in their group- even if they hate one another. I'll wait for the pictures.
But as much fun as I had in high school, and as much as I loved my friends, I'd rather meet them somewhere else.  NOLA is my home but high school wasn't.