Sunday, September 10, 2017

Another Reunion

Why these lags? Well- there IS a story. There always is.

After my last post, I had a bizarre thing happen. Despite my husband's constant reminding that my email POP account was risky, I loved the convenience of it. It was the shortest email ever in history. My first name, then my provider (a TWO letter company) then dot net.  NINE total letters. I couldn't let go. The provider had been sold to 4 companies over the 15 years I had that email. One company didn't even notice I was there- no bills, nothing. But the last purchaser was obviously a far more organized company. They didn't even notice the 15 or so people left over from 4 sales ago. Until they did. Then, without notice or warning, they removed the accounts. They refused to open it back up unless the mail was changed to the name of their company. It was GONE. Now, I have an outlook account- had it for a looooong time. I used it for spam. But unfortunately, I didn't use the outlook account when I opened up my gmail account. SO now, I had no way to prove that I had a gmail account. They just wouldn't let me do anything. Until yesterday. Then, for some reason, they accepted my information and pleas for help, and they gave me back my email account, which is linked to my blog. Hallelujah!

Now, on to the 50th reunion for high school in NOLA. Last June.

There was a luncheon at a country club- I didn't go. My husband and a few friends were appalled. Why wouldn't I go??? The answer was simple- I didn't want to. Unless it is a matter of having to be respectful or polite, I don't do things that are unnecessary anymore. I'd seen everyone I wanted to see a few years ago, and facebook has shown me the others I might be missing. So why go? I have no sentimentality about high school- not in a mean or petty way. It was fifty years ago, and it was just high school.  3 years of my life. That is it. I am not sure what it IS about high school People who have gone on to great success, who have overcome huge personal events and triumphed, who have gone on to grow and blossom, have trepidation about high school reunions. Everyone wants to look younger, happier, and just better than they did at the most awkward and often competitive and confusing times of their lives. Fine. But I didn't want to sit at a table, sing the class song, and act like I remembered what people were  talking about. Not because I'm a bitch- I am not. I was fairly successful by high school rules- I had a lot of friends and a lot of fun.  But that was then and this is now.

However, there was a dance that evening.  And many of the people I really liked would go. It was limited to 150 couples (or people -I know, big difference, but it could have been either at that point), I have to hand it to the people who organized it- the decor was fantastic, the hired band was great, the former high schoolers who were band members played the second half. I paid for food but didn't eat it. I got to hang out with some of the people I actually KNEW and socialized with. And everyone was still fun.  So I couldn't thank all of them enough. 

It was all almost enough to make me resolve to move back home. To go home to my beloved city- the city that is dying and losing its beauty- the monuments torn down-ugly cement blocks left. The crime- oh my, the crime. The corrupt government. The pitiful management of infrastructure.
Hold on, I'm getting somewhere with this.

The dance was held on the 3rd floor of an office building off of Causeway blvd- across from Lakeside Shopping Center.  We left the dance a little early- being non-drinkers, it is always good to leave before the last song. We had parked on the feeder road for Causeway Blvd- in an empty strip mall lot. We got in our car at 9:59, And as we got into our car to drive off, this happened:

http://www.wwltv.com/news/crime/jpso-family-carjacked-at-gunpoint-outside-lakeside-mall-suspects-arrested-after-chase/450033937

By the time we got back to our downtown hotel, it was all over the news. And I cried. I could never live under that stress. I could not believe this happened- virtually within our sight, Just a minute after we left. I don't want to go into the what ifs- it was that close to home for us. And, of course, it wasn't about us.   I can't go home. I just can't.  If I could fix it, I would.  But I won't remember the best parts of our visit- I will remember this.  Isn't that an awful thing to have to say?